Special Collection: Medical Tourism
Call for Papers
The International Journal of Quality Innovation welcomes submissions to a new article collection on the topic of Medical Tourism.
Medical tourism has enjoyed tremendous worldwide growth in recent decades. It was estimated that more than 5 million medical tourists traveled abroad in 2015, accounting for at least USD 2.5 billion in revenue. Many developed and developing countries have been active and successful destinations for medical tourism. This special form of tourism, which is a blend of leisure/entertainment and health care services, is an emerging phenomenon that has attracted attention from researchers in a range of fields. Because of the breadth and complexity of medical tourism, the literature reveals that a universally accepted definition of the concept has not been achieved. Definitions often mix medical tourism, health tourism and medical travel. Notable studies have focused on numerous aspects of medical tourism. However, given the rapid growth and diversity of medical tourism in our ever-changing, globalized world, many unexplored aspects of medical tourism are also worthy of scholars’ attention.
This article collection is currently accepting new submissions!
The journal invites high-quality, original, unpublished research, case studies, and theoretical papers that grapple with the subject of Medical Tourism in light of quality innovation. Topics can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- conceptualization: the conceptual domain, definition and typology of medical tourism
- customer analysis: who are medical tourists? Where are they from, and what are their destinations? What is the customer mobility trend? What are the market segments?
- analysis of customer needs, motivations and consumption behaviors
- customer value formation and evaluation
- the design and management of this special service
- collaborations and partner networks for high-quality service
- co-creation of value by multiple stakeholders, including customers
- communication around medical tourism through online and offline social networks
- innovation in service design, operation, procedure, and quality
- the economic, social, and cultural impacts of medical tourism
- collaborations and partner networks for a high-quality medical tourism service
Submitted papers must be original and must not be under consideration for publication elsewhere. All submissions will be reviewed by at least two independent referees. The editors will base their final acceptance decision on the submission’s relevance for the Special Collection, and on technical quality, innovative content, and originality of research approaches and results.
All submitted manuscripts must be fully compliant with the the journal's submission guidelines.
Submissions should be uploaded via Editorial Manager. When asked whether you are submitting your paper to a "thematic series," answer "yes" and choose "Medical Tourism" from the drop-down menu.
Hau-Nguyen Le, HoChiMinh City University of Technology–VNU.HCM, Vietnam
DonHee Lee, Inha University, South Korea
Alicia Mas-Tur, University of Valencia, Spain
Editorial queries should be submitted directly to Alicia Mas-Tur.
Submissions will benefit from the following advantages of Open Access publication:
- Rapid publication: Online submission, electronic peer review and production make the process of publishing your article simple and efficient
- High visibility and international readership in your field: Open access publication ensures high visibility and maximum exposure for your work - anyone with online access can read your article
- No space constraints: Publishing online means unlimited space for figures, extensive data and video footage
- Authors retain copyright, licensing the article under a Creative Commons license: articles can be freely redistributed and reused as long as the article is correctly attributed.
Sign up for article alerts and news from this journal to keep updated on articles published in the International Journal of Quality Innovation - including articles published in this Special Collection.
- ISSN: 2363-7021
NEW: Conversations about IJQU
This new report breaks down mentions of the journal's research on social media.
The International Journal of Quality Innovation is affiliated with the Korean Society for Quality Management (KSQM). The Society's mission is to advance innovative, goal-driven research in the field of quality and sustainability.
2016 Journal Metrics
7 days from submission to first decision
26 days from acceptance to publication
1840.0 Usage Factor
Social Media Impact